Thursday 6 June 2013

Vitamins for the Soul

They say that change is the best remedy for boredom. At least that's what I think I've been feeling for the last few weeks. I tried to carry on with work, life and basically just pretending that it'll past. Not a good condition for people like me, especially when creativity is the only thing that keeps the studio buzzing with activities. Of course, when you work at home, it's easy to put things off and just keep yourself busy with anything else besides work. Which in my case made the problem even worse.

So one day I decided that the easiest thing for me to do is to just keep on creating as if nothing in my life
depended on it. Everyday I tried to draw, doodle, paint or do just about everything else to keep myself warmed up. And you know what? It turned out that once you decided to turn the pressure button off, it feels absolutely amazing to be liberated!



I started off by drawing things that I rarely draw, such as still life objects and animals. I pushed my pencils aside, then opted for brushes and paints instead. Basically, I tried to switch from left to right and began working on a very clean slate. The end result? A much relaxed mind and a newly found zest to create new things! 




I have been painting an animal each day and now it's wonderful to see them together as a happy bunch. Most of all, to know that they have helped me to stay focused on the one thing that needed nourishing the most. My creativity. So you know what I did? I decided to share them with everyone in my new shop, Whimsylandia. It's a perfect place for anyone who loves to relive their childhood dreams and those who would like to share them with their little ones. 

I realize that this is a whole new area for me to explore and I can't wait to add more animals to my collection! Have you ever had a similar experience as mine? I would love to hear it! :)

All the best,


14 comments:

  1. hello Amalia,
    i love how you try so many different things, they are all your styles... and each is wonderful. this is such a charming collection of children's art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Tammie. I had worries if these animals didn't look like "mine" at all. But then I thought it didn't really matter as long as it feels good to paint them. LOL. :D

      Delete
  2. These cute animal drawings/paintings are so pretty. They make me smile.
    Liefs, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a good idea to let go of that urgency to create what you think you ought to and to follow your heart. It always leads to exciting places! Your new art is so cute, lovely to share your journey with you, thanks for sharing! I shall check out the new shop. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. I couldn't agree more. After all, the heart always seems to know best. :)

      Delete
  4. These are great! Maybe that's what I need to do. I've been hitting a wall with getting things done, just wanting to take a very long break. And since I'm at home too, yes, much to distract myself with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I know! It's great to work from home, but then sometimes it's hard to get a clear head. I hope you break down that wall, Kyra. :)

      Delete
  5. These are really lovely, Amalia. The Bunny in the purple dress is just too sweet.There is nothing like step back, relax and rediscover the joy of doing what you love to reignite creativity.Your lovely paintings are proof of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I really struggle to keep the creative juices flowing and power through a project but you've inspired me to get back into things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, they are adorable Amalia. I love them all :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting for fun definitely feeds the soul, and you've come up with some very cute critters in the process. Keep painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose it is always easier to be creative when you have nothing to lose or gain. beautiful paintings!

    have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You knoe, this post has its own place in me.. Encourage me in some way. Thus, thankyou for an amazing writing and artwork!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your lovely daydreams, they always make me smile! ♥