Thursday 7 June 2012

A Room of My Own


When I was little, I wanted nothing more than to have my own room. Being the youngest, I was always sharing one with my siblings. First with my older brother, then with my older sister until I turned a teenager. Well you must know that I grew up in house with only three bedrooms and the only way for me to have a room of my own was to have one built for me. And I remember constantly begging my parents to have my own space. Somehow in my mind, It seemed like my parents didn't realize that I was actually growing up and probably just wanted to keep me as a little kid forever. You have no idea how badly I wanted a fairy Godmother back then. :)


Then as I turned 12, out of the blue, my parents decided to grant that wish. I was finally going to have my own room, and it was like living a dream. I got to choose the paint color, the drapes, the sheets, even designed my own handcrafted wooden bed. And when the day came for me to move in, I remember telling myself that life really is sweet and nothing was ever going to take me away from my little island.


Unfortunately, that dream was short lived. Just a couple of weeks after I moved in, we received news that my father was to be transfered to the UK and that the whole family were to go with him. So we packed our things almost immediately, put the house up for sale (with my brand new room in it!) and the following month we flied halfway across the world to our new home. Thankfully, to a three storeys house with...get this, four bedrooms. Yes, FOUR bedrooms.

I guess I really did have a fairy Godmother afterall. :)

***********************

My daughter is turning 9 this Saturday. She came to me the other day and asked me when she could have a room of her own. She said big girls shouldn't have to share a room with  little boys. So I told her to keep that wish very close, because wishes really do come true.

Trust me on that one. ;o)



♥ Both girls above are available as nursery art originals in my shop.



11 comments:

  1. Poor Amalia, Only after a couple of weeks you have to left your room... it's a sad story, but with a nice ending!! last but not least, The illustrations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Tell me about it! You're right, at least all was good in the end. Thanks, Claudio! :D

      Delete
  2. Aw, that's a sweet story! Is her wish going to come true? Lovely paintings to go with the story too! When she gets her room, I can envision it with those on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought about that too! It would be so lovely to have my art hanging on her bedroom's wall. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I hope her wish comes true. :)

      Delete
  3. your drawings + generations of own room wishings are so dear! we have two boys (now 16 and 13) and they just got their own rooms about 2 yrs ago + it was a great day for them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Rachel.. I really hope my kids will each have their own room someday. Your boys are so lucky!

      Delete
  4. I can understand. I never did got my own room until much much later. too many siblings and not enough space. but it's nice to hear your wish came true.

    have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who went through the same thing you did...too many siblings and not enough space. I always thought having two were "too many". Can't imagine having more!! :D

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm glad your new home had four bedrooms and that you ended up with your own space after all. These are lovely, I especially love the one riding the duck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have six children so they've all had to share at one time or another but my two youngest have their own rooms now and even better, my son is at Uni and I have the luxury of keeping his room just for him in the holidays! My youngest has the best room of the house and chose her own carpet and colour scheme. She is one lucky girl and she knows it! ;)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your lovely daydreams, they always make me smile! ♥